Share Article – Best Streaming Devices
So, you’re finally cutting the cord. In fact, you’ve already done your research and figured out which streaming platforms you’ll use to binge-watch your favorite movies and shows. In addition, you’ve already picked up an HD antenna and found the perfect cable alternative for watching live TV. Now, if you haven’t done so already, it’s time to choose your streaming device(s).
There are several ways for you to access streaming content.
- You can choose a smart TV that offers a direct connection to streaming services.
- On your computer, smartphones, and tablets.
- By connecting a streaming media player. (Includes streaming devices, smart Blu-ray players, and smart gaming consoles)
Best Streaming Devices
In this section, we will show you some of the most popular device options available for streaming all of your favorite movies, TV shows, and live broadcasts.
Amazon Fire TV Devices
What Is Amazon Fire TV?
Amazon Fire TV is a line of streaming media players created by Amazon. Since launching back in 2014 the Amazon Fire TV brand of streaming devices, which are most often generally referred to as “Fire Sticks,” have become a household name for “Cord Cutters” worldwide. In fact, for many, the phrase “Cut the cord” is synonymous with “I got a Fire Stick.” There’s no doubt about it, these tiny devices pack a powerful punch! But why exactly are they so popular? Let’s take a closer look.
What Makes Them Special?
Amazon Fire TV Devices
- The Price – Amazon delivers budget-friendly devices that give you tons of features without breaking the bank. So regardless of your budget, Amazon has a device that’s right for you.
- No cable or satellite? No problem – Stream all your favorites from Netflix, Starz, & Amazon Prime. Or watch live TV and sports with subscriptions to Philo TV, Sling, Fubo TV, Vidgo, and others to access content from ESPN, CBS, NBC, AMC, HGTV, CNN, and more.
- Easy to use – Amazon Fire TV devices are straight forward and easy to use. The user-friendly interface makes navigating through the menu options a breeze. So whether you’re a first-time cord-cutter or a seasoned pro, you shouldn’t have any problems finding quality content.
- Alexa – Devices come with Amazon’s all-knowing, interactive voice assistant, called Alexa. It’s like having your very own virtual personal assistant. Alexa can do quick math for you, launch your favorite playlists, check news and weather, and control many of your home’s smart products.
- Amazon Prime members get more – Prime members get unlimited access to thousands of movies and TV episodes. 100+ channels like HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, CBS All Access, Cinemax, and more are available for Prime members to add—no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Only pay for the channels you want and cancel anytime.
- Can Easily Be “Jailbroken” – Amazon fire TV devices allow you to install third-party apps that are not available for download in the Amazon App Store. Sideloading third-party apps is a simple process and require no technical skills. There are numerous YouTube videos and websites that will show you how to install some of the most popular third-party apps from start to finish. Click Here To See List Of Free Apps and To Learn How To Jailbreak Your Device.
See All Fire TV Devices Here.
Amazon Fire TV Devices
Fire TV Stick Lite – Amazon’s most affordable Fire TV Stick – Enjoy fast streaming in Full HD. Comes with Alexa Voice Remote Lite.
Amazon Fire TV Stick – Amazon’s latest release of their best-selling Fire TV device – 50% more powerful than the previous-gen for fast streaming in Full HD. Includes Alexa Voice Remote with power and volume buttons.
Fire TV Stick 4K – Amazon’s most powerful streaming media stick. Experience true-to-life picture quality with 4K Ultra HD. Comes with Alexa Voice Remote with power and volume buttons. Use your voice to easily find, launch, and control content.
Amazon Fire TV Cube – The fastest, most powerful Fire TV streaming device. Fire TV Cube lets you put down the remote and dive straight into your favorite movies and TV shows with the sound of your voice.
Besides My Amazon Fire TV Device, What Else Do I Need?
Compatible TV With HDMI Ports
High-definition television with available high-speed HDMI input.
Amazon Fire TV devices all require internet access to stream your content. It depends on your particular device. But you will either need to use a wireless “WiFi” connection to connect to your home network. Or you can choose a model that offers a wired Ethernet connector.
Your device needs to be registered with an Amazon Account to access and manage your content and to make sure you have access to the latest software, features, and functionality that power Amazon Fire TV.
- Plug your Fire TV into your TV’s HDMI port and then plug the power adapter into an outlet.
- Use the USB cable to connect the power adapter and your Fire TV.
- Put batteries in your Fire TV remote.
- Turn on your TV and switch to the correct HDMI input.
- If your remote doesn’t pair automatically, press the Home button until “Press to start” appears on-screen (about 10 seconds).
- Follow the on-screen instructions to connect to Wi-Fi and download the latest software update. Note: If you’re having issues with your Wi-Fi password, contact your internet service provider.
- Sign in with your Amazon account.
- Follow the on-screen questions to set up equipment control for devices like soundbars.
To download apps and games, add a default payment method to Your Payments.
Additional Amazon Products
But wait, There’s More!
In addition to the Amazon family of streaming devices, they also offer Amazon Fire TV Edition Television sets. These innovative Smart TV’s come with the Fire TV experience already built-in. So there’s no need to purchase a streaming device separately. This combo gives you a fantastic “2-for-1” which seamlessly integrates all of the Smart TV and Fire TV features on a unified home screen.
See All Of The Amazon Products
Fire TV Recast, over-the-air DVR, 500 GB, 75 hours, DVR for cord cutters
Play music, control your smart home, get info & more using just your voice.
Powerful tablets designed for entertainment—at an affordable price.
Protect your entire home with smart products, security systems and cameras from Amazon.
The best devices for reading, period. Hold thousands of books with absolutely no screen glare.
Deals, sales, and special offers on Echo & Alexa devices, Fire tablets, Fire TV, and more.
What Is Roku?
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last several years, then I’m sure you’ve more than likely heard of a Roku Streaming Device. Roku is basically the company that pioneered modern-day streaming devices. Moreover, they were and continue to be at the forefront of the “cord-cutting” revolution. These devices have made it easy for millions of people to fire their cable company! This means, no monthly bills, no contracts, no installation, no activation fees, no cancellation fees, and absolutely no cable equipment to buy.
As a result, having a Roku Streaming Device makes it possible for you to save money while still providing you easy access to free TV, live news, sports, movies, and much more.
Why choose Roku products?
Roku devices are simple to set-up and easy-to-use. They come with a simple remote, and powerful features like Roku Search which makes it effortless to find what you want to watch. Roku devices give you access to 500,000+ movies and TV episodes from top free and paid channels, so you can stream almost anything:
- Tons of FREE content – Get live news and movies on The Roku Channel. Plus free channels like YouTube, CW, and PBS.
- Hollywood blockbusters – Channels like FandangoNOW, VUDU, Amazon Instant Video, and Google Play.
- Live TV and sports – On subscription channels like Fubo, Sling TV, WatchESPN, and CBS All Access.
- Original content, movies, and the latest TV shows – From subscription channels like HBO Max, Starz, SHOWTIME®, and Hulu.
See All Roku Devices Here
Roku Ultra – Streaming Media Player HD/4K/HDR/Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos, Bluetooth, and Roku Voice Remote with Headphone Jack and Personal Shortcuts, Includes HDMI Cable.
Roku Premiere – HD/4K/HDR Streaming Device. Stream your favorites with ease – from Apple TV, Prime Video, and Netflix, to cable alternatives like Sling, enjoy the most talked-about TV across 1000’s of channels
Roku Streaming Stick + – HD/4K/HDR Streaming Device. Endless entertainment: Stream what you love, including free TV, live news, sports, and more. It’s easy to stream what you love and cut back on cable bills
Roku Express – HD Streaming Media Player lets you stream free, live and premium TV over the internet right to your TV; it’s perfect for new users, secondary TVs and easy gifting but powerful enough for seasoned pros
What Is The Roku Channel Store?
Using a Roku device is very similar to using a smartphone, tablet, or computer. Just like your smartphones and computers have “app stores” for installing new applications (ie: Google Play Store, Apple App Store, & the Microsoft Store), you can access the Roku Channel Store on your Roku streaming player or Roku TV to add new “channels”. Channels are just applications for your television; popular channels include Netflix, Fubo TV, Sling TV, Philo TV, VidGo, and Starz.
Besides My Roku Device, What Else Do I Need?
Roku streaming players and Roku TVs all require internet access to stream your content. It depends on your particular device. But you will either need to use a wireless “WiFi” connection to connect to your home network. Or you can choose a model that offers a wired Ethernet connector.
You need a Roku account to activate your device and access content across thousands of streaming channels. There are no monthly fees with Roku. However, adding a payment method lets you easily rent/buy movies on-demand or subscribe to popular services like Netflix.
Easy To Setup
Plug In Your Roku TV Or Streaming Device
Connect Your Device To The Internet
Create a Roku account and activate your device
Tip: All Roku players connect to your TV with HDMI. Roku Express+ adds the option to connect via a composite cable which works with older TVs.
Chromecast With Google TV
What Is Chromecast With Google TV?
What is Chromecast With Google TV? For years, the Chromecast device has been known as a cheap, yet simple way to cast and stream video content from your smartphone to your TV. However, since it’s launch back in 2013, the Chromecast has never really been able to go toe-to-toe with other rival streaming devices like the Amazon Fire TV and Roku devices. But all of that is changing now that they have launched the Chromecast With Google TV device.
Google has finally leveled the playing field with its competition by correcting, what was in my opinion, two major design flaws. For starters, they’ve integrated the Google TV interface into the device and added an on-screen menu which makes it a lot easier to use and find content. In addition, the device now comes with its very own voice remote. This means you are no longer forced to dig out and use your smartphone to cast content and control your device.
What Makes Chromecast With Google TV Different?
Chromecast With Google TV
Not only does the new and improved Chromecast come with lots of great new features. But, it also continues to deliver some of the features from the classic Chromecast that we’ve grown to love.
- Very User Friendly –The new and improved Chromecast comes with Google TV. In addition, the new on-screen menu makes it easy to navigate.
- No cable TV? No problem – Stream all your favorites from Netflix, Starz, & Amazon Prime. Or watch live TV and sports with subscriptions to Philo TV, Sling TV, Fubo TV, Vidgo, and others to access content from ESPN, CBS, NBC, AMC, HGTV, CNN, and more.
- From Your Smartphone to the TV Screen – Allows You to cast content from your phone or a Chrome tab.
- Voice Remote with Google Assistant feature.
- Resolution – Up to 4K HDR
- Connectivity – Allows you to control other smart home devices
- Can Easily Be “Jailbroken” – Chromecast devices allow you to install third-party apps that are not available for download in the Google Play Store. Sideloading third-party apps is a simple process and require no technical skills. There are numerous YouTube videos and websites that will show you how to install some of the most popular third-party apps from start to finish. Click Here To See List Of Free Apps and To Learn How To Jailbreak Your Device.
See All Chromecast Devices Here
Chromecast With Google TV
Chromecast with Google TV – The new and improved Chromecast comes with Google TV. Watch all of your favorite content in up to stunning 4K HDR.
Chromecast – The classic Chromecast experience you know and love. Simply stream from your device to your TV. Just like that.
Besides My Chromecast Device, What Else Do I Need?
Compatible TV With HDMI Ports
High-definition television with available high-speed HDMI input.
Chromecast devices require internet access to stream your content.
What Is Nvidia Shield?
Whether you’re a media enthusiast, gaming enthusiast, or casual streamer, the all-new SHIELD TV family has you covered. The new SHIELD TV is compact, stealth, and designed to disappear behind your entertainment center, right along with your cables. Simply stated, the new SHIELD Pro takes this performance to the next level. It’s built for the most demanding users and beautifully designed to be the perfect centerpiece of your entertainment center.
What Makes Nvidia Shield So Great?
ALL YOUR FAVORITE ENTERTAINMENT.
TV, MOVIES, MUSIC, GAMES, AND MORE.
SHIELD is the most advanced Android TV device. Enjoy the most 4K HDR entertainment. Cut the cord with live sports and DVR, stream from Chromecast apps, even show off your Google Photos.
Here’s What Makes Nvidia Shield So Great:
- All-New Design – Whether you’re a media enthusiast, gaming enthusiast, or casual streamer, the all-new SHIELD TV family has you covered. The new SHIELD TV is compact, stealth, and designed to disappear behind your entertainment center, right along with your cables. The new SHIELD Pro takes this performance to the next level. It’s built for the most demanding users and beautifully designed to be the perfect centerpiece of your entertainment center.
- The New Shield Remote – Motion-activated, backlit buttons—including a user-customizable button. Voice control. Bluetooth control. An IR blaster to control your TV. Even a built-in lost-remote locator. You’ve never seen a SHIELD remote like this before.
- Ultimate Cinematic TV Experience – Bring your home theater to life with Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos delivering ultra-vivid picture quality and breakthrough sound. Upscale HD video in real-time to 4K for clearer crisper visuals using next-generation AI image enhancing and the power of the NVIDIA Tegra® X1+ processor.
- Google Assistant Built-in – Control your SHIELD hands-free with Google Home or Alexa and Amazon Echo
- Chromecast 4K Built-in – Cast your favorite apps, photos, and videos from your mobile device to your TV.
- Play the Latest Games – Games for everyone, on Google Play Games and GeForce NOW*, including AAA games like Fortnite. *Game controller sold separately
- Can Easily Be “Jailbroken” – Nvidia Shield devices allow you to install third-party apps that are not available for download in the Google Play Store. Sideloading third-party apps is a simple process and require no technical skills. There are numerous YouTube videos and websites that will show you how to install some of the most popular third-party apps from start to finish. Click Here To See List Of Free Apps and To Learn How To Jailbreak Your Device.
See All Nvidia Shield Devices
NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro
NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro is the ultimate streaming media player for the modern living room—packed with features to make even the most demanding users proud. Enjoy a cinematic experience with the highest quality 4K HDR entertainment, thousands of apps, thousands of games, and the Google Assistant built in.
NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV
Fast. Really Fast. SHIELD TV takes media streaming to a whole new level, powered by the NVIDIA Tegra X1+ processor, SHIELD TV is the world’s most powerful Android TV streaming media player.
Besides My Nvidia Shield Device, What Else Do I Need To Know?
WHAT APPS ARE AVAILABLE ON SHIELD TV?
SHIELD TV includes the Android TV operating system, including the Google Play Store, which provides access to thousands of apps and games. It also comes preloaded with Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video, Plex, Google Play Movies, Google Play Music, and the NVIDIA Games app preinstalled. Some regions include additional preinstalled apps such as BBC and ITV in the UK, Vudu and Amazon Music in the US, and Stan in Australia.
Download additional apps and games from the Google Play store on SHIELD TV.
WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO PUT MY SHIELD TV?
The new SHIELD TV is designed to disappear behind your entertainment center. It can rest comfortably on the floor, out of site, along with your other cables. One end has a cable that plugs into a power outlet and the other end has a cable that plugs into your HDMI port on your TV.
SHIELD TV Pro is designed to be displayed on your TV stand next to your TV.
WHAT ACCESSORIES ARE AVAILABLE FOR SHIELD TV?
There are two accessories available for SHIELD TV; the SHIELD TV remote and the SHIELD TV controller. All SHIELD TVs come with one SHIELD remote in the box. Additional accessories are available for purchase on their website.
HOW DO I UPDATE SHIELD TV?
All software updates are directly pushed to your SHIELD TV by NVIDIA. You’ll see a notification on your home screen when an update is available. If you want SHIELD to stay up to date automatically without notifications, you can enable Auto-upgrade. Go to Settings > Device Preferences > About > System upgrade and enable ‘Auto-upgrade’. You can even select the time of day you would like the updates to occur.
WHAT ACCESSORIES ARE AVAILABLE FOR SHIELD TV Pro?
There are three accessories available for SHIELD TV; the SHIELD TV remote, the SHIELD TV controller, and the SHIELD TV vertical stand. All SHIELD TVs come with one SHIELD remote in the box. Additional accessories are available for purchase on their website.
WILL SHIELD WORK WITH MY TV?
SHIELD works with virtually any TV or display that supports HDMI. The device can be plugged directly into your TV or receiver, depending on your preference.
Note: To output 4K Ultra HD, HDR, or Dolby Vision content, your display must be capable of those features. If you are connecting your SHIELD TV to your 4K HDR TV through an AV receiver or soundbar, the AV receiver or soundbar must support HDMI 2.0 (with HDCP 2.2).
WHAT DO I NEED TO SET UP SHIELD TV?
You just need a TV that supports HDMI, an Internet connection (either Ethernet or Wi-Fi), and an HDMI cable. For 4K or HDR TVs, you will need an HDMI 2.0 compatible cable.
Read All The Articles In The Simple Streamz Cord Cutting Guide For Beginners
1. Why I Decided To Cut The Cord
2. Introduction – Cord-Cutting Explained
3. How To Cut The Cord & Still Watch Live TV
4. Choosing The Right Streaming Service
5. How To Cut The Cord & Still Watch Live Sports
6. Which Streaming Device Should I Buy
7. HD Antenna For Live Local News, Weather, & Sports
Tired of paying ridiculous prices for cable TV?